Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Art In Bloom 2010

Art In Bloom is a fundraiser for New Orleans Museum of Art and is one of my favorite events. The theme this year was "Green" and could be interpreted as eco-friendly or just plan green. There are local artists, designers, area schools and garden clubs that participate and showcase their creative spirit.




My category was Tablescapes. I selected a natural fiber called jute (otherwise know as burlap) for my table skirt. It was tan in color and trimmed in a green pleat around the bottom. I wanted tailored look for such a casual fabric.


I used my Mother's Lenox china, Gorham silver and Waterford crystal for the place setting. I shook up these traditional pieces with Annie Glass for the chargers, and and funky water glass with a green and gold design.




I used sheet moss for the place mates, filled the berry bowls with beautiful mums, the tea cups with rye grass and the water glasses with bamboo sticks tied with raffia.





Kim Weir, the floral designer at The Plant Gallery helped me design the centerpiece. I used my Mother's Soup Terrain for the centerpiece and I wanted the floral arrangement to translate to the Soup Terrain. I asked Kim to use Kail in the arrangement (Yes, Kail is a relative of the cabbage family)...I've had cabbage soup before, have you? HA! Kim suggested incorporating the roses to give the display an air of elegance and to balance out the earthiness of the Kail.





The chairs and napkins came from Home & Garden. Notice the chairs are Aiden Grey and the back of the chair is covered in burlap; a great compliment to the table skirt. I love that store. They have everything from perfumed soap, bed linens to sofas and other fine furniture items. I always encourage my clients to start there when designing a room.





It was wonderful evening! I hope to participate again next year!



No comments:

Post a Comment